Careers in Hire
Job Opportunities in the Hire Industry
Careers in Hire is a unique, professional service for the hire industry, full of exciting job opportunities provided by members of HAE and EHA.
Below you'll find a list of vacancies from some of our members. If you can't find what you're looking for at this time but would like to leave your details and/or sign up to be alerted to potentially suitable opportunities when posted, then you can do so below.
Click to expand.
Smiths Equipment Hire Ltd are the Northwest's Largest Independent Equipment Hire company with 16 'Hire It Centres' located across the region.
We supply all types of customers in all types of business, specialising in many types of equipment, including; plant and machinery to the construction and industrial sectors. A large fleet of delivery vehicles are able to supply almost any type of equipment that is requested.
As a Workshop Engineer you must:
- Have experience with repairing, servicing and maintaining small tool equipment.
- Have the ability to work under pressure and on own initiative.
- Be reliable and have a flexible proactive approach.
- Have good literacy, numeracy and computer skills.
- Have the ability to diagnose faults on associated small tool hire equipment.
- Have experience with 2/ and 4/ petrol engines.
- Experience with Diesel engines.
- Have a full clean driving licence.
- Have good diagnostic skills.
The main Responsibilities are:
- Repairing, servicing and maintaining small tool equipment in the workshop.
- Must be able to diagnose faults on a variety of Small tool equipment.
- Maintain and widen product knowledge.
- Carry out other tasks and duties as required.
- Be able to liaise with people at all levels.
- Maintain Health and Safety to Company Standards.
- Will be require to attend breakdowns on sites.
Working hours are: Monday to Friday: 08:00am – 17:00pm and Saturday: 08:00am to 12:00pm on a rotational basis.
- Salary: Depending on experience.
- 25 Days plus statutory holidays (33 days in total).
- An extra 2 days holiday after 5 year's service.
- Weekly pay.
- Saturday hours paid at time and a half.
- FREE tool hire for all employees – Excluding consumables and delivery.
- Life insurance is provided at three times your annual salary.
- Pension scheme.
- Full uniform provided.
- Discounted personal legal services.
Are you looking to develop your career further?
Are you an experienced ToolHire Manager/ supervisor or perhaps you have Sales and customer service experience in a different sector that is transferable to Tool Hire?
We are Travis Perkins, the UK’s largest builders merchant and we have an exciting opportunity for someone to take the reins of our Tool Hire team at our (Stratford Upon Avon) branch.
Where will you be working?
The role of Tool Hire Manager is a unique one within our business, Stratford Upon Avon branch (located on Maybrook Road) is one of our successful branches based within our Midlands region. We are extremely proud of our safety and audit standards and you will bring your H&S focus to this role.
Working hours are Mon-Fri 7.30am - 5.00pm, alternate Saturdays 8.00am - 12.00pm.
What’s in it for you?
If career development is important for you then your future career path could lead you into a regional role. This role will provide plenty of opportunity for future success and recognition.
In return for your hard work you will receive the following:
- myMoney - competitive salary/annual leave, contributory pension scheme, bonus, life Insurance, etc
- myColleagueDiscount - savings across the TP Group including tool hire and ToolStation
- myHealth - Aviva DigiCare, Cycle to Work, access to our online Wellbeing Centre plus more
- myLife - myCar options (NovaLease/MotivaDirect), legal services advice
- myInfoHub - access to our new learning platform, apprenticeship opportunities, StayWell hub PLUS a huge array of everyday savings via our employee discount programme and family friendly HR policies
What will you be doing?
- Your focus will be to manage all aspects of running the Tool Hire operations and team. You will develop and execute a local sales action plan, whilst striving to exceed sales and revenue targets.
- You will build strong relationships with our customers to build trust and create returning business.
- You will build strong relationships with your team and customers and understand the importance of coaching and developing sales whilst maintaining a strong operation
- You will establish and maintain the correct stock levels to maintain optimum equipment utilisation to meet customer demands.
Does this sound like you?
Previous plant/tool hire industry experience or a good understanding of electrical, petrol and diesel equipment would be advantageous, but not essential. It doesn't matter what sector you come from but a great attitude, initiative and passion helps! We are looking for transferable skills of Inspirational Leadership, Operational Management, Sales, Great Customer Service and Commercial Acumen. These align against our values: We Care, We Give our Best to be the Best and We’re Better Together.
- A passionate, inspirational and engaging leader, able to delegate successfully and empower colleagues to take accountability and lead the branch tool hire team, creating and cultivating that "one team" approach?
- Highly adaptable, resilient and tenacious with high levels of energy and drive?
- Someone who thrives in a dynamic and fast paced environment, with an entrepreneurial spirit?
You may not know much about Travis Perkins, but if you look a bit closer you might be surprised, despite our size, we have the values of a family run business and the mindset and ambition of a forward thinking Company. We pride ourselves on being a great place to work, that's why we have been voted one of the UK’s Top Employers every year since 2010. We offer our employees access to extensive career opportunities across our 5 leading businesses. We operate out of more than 1400 outlets nationwide and have over 20,000 colleagues.
We’re driving to become a truly inclusive employer. We want everyone to be at their best and it’s our ambition that everyone within our Group feels safe, welcome and confident to be their authentic selves. You be you, it makes us, us.
Hire Desk Controller
As one of the largest and fastest-growing powered access companies in the UK, AFI-Rentals builds success by nurturing talent and rewarding hard work. If you are looking for a fast-paced and rewarding career, we'd love to hear from you.
Are you a Hire Desk Controller looking for an exciting new opportunity in Wakefield?
We have a unique opportunity for energetic, forward-thinking individuals to join our Wilson Access team at our Wakefield depot.
The salary for this role is negotiable (DOE) plus benefits.
As one of the leading innovators in our sector, we are currently looking to recruit a Hire Desk Controller within our Powered Access depot.
The successful applicant will possess the core qualities that we pride ourselves on, such as being customer-focused, a good communicator, being organised, valuing teamwork, being reliable, and having a willingness to learn.
If you possess these character traits, then you could be exactly the person we’re looking for. Experience in a rental or a service-related industry may be advantageous but is definitely not essential.
In return, we offer a competitive package in an established, fast-paced, ambitious company that will provide career stability and progression prospects. You will be working for a company where hard work is rewarded.
We are looking to recruit suitable individuals who will be joining a relatively new team and will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact.
The team are the central point of contact for customers placing orders, making enquiries, and coordinating machine allocation and deliveries/collections.
In brief, this Hire Desk Controller role involves:
- Taking hire enquiries via telephone, email, and our online ordering system and processing them onto our hire system.
- Checking the availability of machines and operators and ensuring that order statuses are always up to date on our systems.
- Coordinating with the engineering and transport teams to ensure that the correct machines are ready and available to be delivered to customer sites.
- Dealing with customer queries, complaints, and damages.
- Dealing with customers professionally and politely at all times, and maximising sales using your product knowledge.
- Maintaining health and safety standards within the hire office.
- Communicating effectively with other colleagues and providing a helpful and friendly point of contact for depot enquiries.
We would welcome applications for this Hire Desk Controller role from candidates with skills in MS Office, administration, customer service, plant, machinery, health & safety, telephony, email, order processing, query handling, or previous experience as a Hire Desk Controller.
- 25 days holiday, plus statutory holidays
- Inclusion in a profit share scheme
- An auto-enrolment pension scheme with employer contributions (from age 22, but voluntary enrolment can be made before this age. Opt-out available)
- Death-in-Service benefit of 2 x salary
- Healthcare cash plan
- MyAFI - a comprehensive employee benefits, rewards, and discount programme. Benefits include the Cycle2Work scheme, Aviva private medical insurance, and holiday trading, to name a few
- £100 Christmas bonus
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience in a customer-focused role is a must, as is attention to detail when processing information into our hire system.
- Experience working on a hire desk would be a distinct advantage.
- A good knowledge of Microsoft packages and computer skills in general.
- You must be outgoing and enthusiastic.
- As this is a customer-facing role, excellent communication skills and a friendly approach are a must.
- Timekeeping and using your initiative will be important aspects of the role, so you should be proficient in these skills.
AFI-Rentals is one of the UK’s leading powered access rental companies and we provide everything a person needs to work at height safely. From a modern specialist rental fleet to high-quality training, we are a one-stop shop for the working-at-height industry.
Our core values are teamwork, customer service, and profitability, and we believe employee professional development is at the heart of our success. Because of this, we are an accredited Investors in People company – and have been for many years.
We also have a strong emphasis on Health and Safety and are proud to hold various accreditations, such as:
- 5-Star Achilles BuildingConfidence
- Gold RoSPA award
- + more
Please note that we operate a 2-stage interview process and online testing to screen candidates.
The Latest Vacancies in and around the UK
Click the logo to view job openings at each company.
To discuss advertising job vacancies on HAE EHA Careers in Hire please call 0121 380 4608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.