PRESS RELEASE: CITB appoints Chairs to new Nation Councils
CITB today announce the three new Nation Council Chairs – one each in England, Scotland and Wales. The Councils will play a crucial role in helping to determine the future of GB construction and provide strategic advice to meet our sector skill needs.
Seamus Keogh, CEO of Clancy Docwra Ltd, Tony Elliott, Group HR Director of Robertson Group and Leigh Hughes, Business Development & Social Value Director at Bouygues UK, take up their respective roles as Chair of the Nation Councils in England, Scotland and Wales this month.
The three will work with up to nine council members in each nation to form a key part of CITB’s new governance structure.
The newly created Nation Councils will have an important role in supporting the CITB Board in its strategic leadership, by providing insight into industry challenges across nations, regions and sectors and acting as a sounding board for Trustees.
As part of CITB’s new governance structure which has been created following the ITB review, the Nation Councils will advise the Board to identify and prioritise support for key issues affecting the construction industry across Great Britain.
- Seamus Keogh began his career 34 years ago as a site engineer – now, as part of his role within the Clancy family owned business, he leads award-winning site skills training, ILM-accredited personal development programmes, apprentice and graduate schemes.
- Tony Elliott brings 25 years of experience from people and skills development across various sectors including the Scottish construction industry.
- Leigh Hughes holds a wide range of senior consultancy, government and board member roles within the construction industry in Wales, including Board Director of Constructing Excellence Wales and Chair of Cardiff Capital Region E&S Board.
Peter Lauener, Chair of the CITB Board, said: “I’m delighted we have been able to appoint three very experienced knowledgeable and highly capable industry executives as our Nation Council Chairs. I know that Tony, Seamus and Leigh are passionate about supporting skills and training within their own firms and the wider industry.
“CITB’s new Nation Councils will be a great asset to the Board, they will provide industry-led, nation-specific advice that will be invaluable as our programme of change develops.
“I look forward to working with our new Chairs to ensure we make The Future CITB Business Plan a reality and deliver a CITB that truly meets British construction’s needs now, and in the future.”
The Nation Chairs together with CITB Board Trustees are in the process of selecting for appointment Members for each Nation Council. Experienced and influential individuals from a wide range of construction backgrounds will be brought on board to ensure the entire industry has a platform from which to represent the views of SMEs, large employers and employer federations.
The newly appointed Nation Councils will provide insight into industry challenges, across nations, regions and sectors, acting as a sounding board for Trustees. The Nation Councils will capture and articulate to the CITB Board key issues affecting or likely to affect industry over the next three years and beyond.
Their key functions will include:
- Assist the Board to accurately prioritise support for key issues affecting industry across the UK;
- Shape and influence CITB’s strategic business plan to address industry opportunities, pressures and priorities;
- Inform CITB’s evidence base;
- Make timely recommendations to the Board about matters arising that may impact delivery of the Business Plan.